[Dixielandjazz] Blues question

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 18 15:53:22 PDT 2012

 John Gill asked:
> I have a question for all the Blues fans on the list. It's about "Matchbox Blues" by Blind Lemon Jefferson. My question concerns the line "....will a matchbox hold my clothes". It sure sounds to me like Jefferson sings "...will a matchbox hold my soul". So what do you think?

Dear John,
This query has been raised before by those of us who are also into the Blues.
The answer depends on which Blind Lemon record you are listening to.
The original Okeh 8455 version recorded on 14 March 1927:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3GEDqkJeVs
or the Paramount renditions (takes -2 and -4) made for Paramount 12474 a month later:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVavS3STc1w
I hear "soul" repeated twice on the Okeh and "clothes" twice on Paramount -2.
I have the lyrics for both, if wanted. Although, both transcriptions use "clothes".
The 1935 Leadbelly record uses "clothes' but also includes a stanza referring to a gal packing up her trunk,
thereby making the clothes connection.
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G7PiBXKzfg

> ....and so does Albert King, BB King, Ma Rainey, Eric Clapton, etc.

Ma Rainey??
Very kind regards,
Bill.