[Dixielandjazz] Likes & Dislikes in Jazz

Louis Lince louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 09:58:50 PDT 2012

Hi Steve,

Things are coming to a strange climax. Once more, I'm agreeing with you
(must stop that irritating habit!). I do not care for John Coltrane, but I
defend to the nth degree the right of other folk to like his music. I will
not say that it is trash/rubbish, all I will say is that he does nothing for
me, I have listened to and tried to understand his music (failing
miserably!) - but for many others he is the ultimate.  If 50 DJMLers were in
a room there'd be at least 51 definitions of OKOM - but that's another
story!

best,

Louis

Steve said <polite snip>
 I have no objection to people like you who don't like what Trane
played, or others who don't like what Bechet played as long as you
 simply say, I don't like that music.