[Dixielandjazz] Likes & Dislikes in Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 15 09:28:32 PDT 2012

Dear Marek:

Yes, the subject is exhausted..

You and others are entitled to opinions. However, when you personally
attack any musician because of his or her personal creativity,  you
exhibit ignorance of the creative process.

Creative musicians spend a lot of time and effort to bring their ideas
to fruition. When you or any other fan choses to attack them, using
words like "noise" or "that's not music"  because you don't get it,
you denigrate all creative musicians.

As a creative musician, I find that very offensive, just as I would
find comments about what  Bix, or Louis, or Dodds or Bechet played as
noise equally offensive.

It is well to remember the attacks on Dixieland when ODJB first
appeared on the scene. You are simply repeating what happened 100
years ago when folks like you denigrated jazz. Same story different day.

I have no objection to people like you who don't like what Trane
played, or others who don't like what Bechet played as long as you
simply say, I don't like that music. It is the personal attack (e.g.
your repeated nasty comments about Miles) that exhibit nothing more
than the ill will of a late comer to jazz who doesn't yet understand
the genre or Miles' many. contributions to it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband