[Dixielandjazz] Wondering...

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 10:32:33 PDT 2012

 Hi Bob,   yep that was Eric on Sousaphone, he usually plays T-Bone and sings, but we had three Bone players on that gig that day so he switched to Sousaphone, he is not as strong on it as a couple of the other guys, who play it all the time, ( Marc Bolin, Luke Kirley, & Mike Rinta ) but fills in nicely if they can't make it.   Good Friend and listmate Dave Richoux also subs for us on a lot of gigs when we play mostly Traditional Jazz style.

  The guy who created the video obviously did a lot of editing, we also had a keyboard player that date  who plays Bass on a second keyboard with his left hand, when we can add guitar and keyboards to the line up we can stretch out and get a lot of different styles and genres of music in a show.  That's why we like to refer to ourselves sometimes as the Brass Band and sometimes musical Circus :))
 Every show we do is total improvisational and never the same since we rotate and interchange so many guys.  Having multi instrumentalist and vocalist adds great depth to our music and allows us to play many kinds of gigs in addition to Traditional Jazz.

 It's very appealing to the younger crowds as it comes off sometimes like Rockin' Dixie, not too far removed from what we did in Israel at the Red Sea Jazz Fest with absolutely No rehearsal and with 8 guys most of whom had never played together before.  That's why it's always so much Fun and keeps the excitement in the music at almost every show.   I am looking forward to this years video, and notice the age ranges of the folks attending and having so much fun,  and they all Paid $55.00 each to come party with us.   Had more than twice as many folks came out this year, because they moved it back into February and the word got out about last year and more folks came out.

Half of us had also played a parade in Sacramento at 7:45 am that morning and then drove all the way over to Sonoma for the Mardi Gras Party.

Cheers,

Bart: