[Dixielandjazz] "NEW" GARY CHURCH UPDATE 6/8/2012

CHERYL THURSTON thurstonsjazz at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 21:46:29 PDT 2012

Hello again Dear Friends!

Gary and I went to the Infectious Disease Doctor (Dr. Ana Moran) this afternoon and she called the pathology lab in front of us to find out any news on Gary Church.  They confirmed that Gary had a BENIGN "GANGLIOCYTOMA" TUMOR.     (Definition below)

He still has Valley Fever, and has to keep taking his medications for 3 to 6 months. He will follow up with blood tests and an MRI in 2-1/2 months from now.

Thanks again, everyone for your kind wishes, support and funds through this difficult time.

We will keep you updated again!

Gary and I leave Sunday, June 10 for New Orleans and return Friday, June 22.
I have found my mobile phone.  If you want to call while we are in the French Quarter....the number is (602) 465-0623.

Love,
Cheryl Thurston and Gary Church

Ganglioglioma
These rare, benign tumors arise from ganglia-type cells, which are groups of nerve cells. Gangliocytomas (sometimes called ganglioneuromas) are tumors of mature ganglion cells. Gangliogliomas are tumors of both mature nerve and supportive cells.
Tumors arising from ganglia most frequently occur in children and young adults. They represent 0.4% of all primary brain tumors and about 4% of all pediatric brain tumors.
The most common sites are the temporal lobe of the cerebral hemispheres and the third ventricle, although they might also occur in the spine.
Cyst formation and calcification can be present. Seizures are the most common symptom.
These tumors are small, slow growing, and have distinct margins. Metastasis and malignancy are very rare.
Surgery is the standard treatment.
Courtesy American Brain Tumor Association