[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Dorsey

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 15:07:45 PDT 2012

I just heard a Jimmy Dorsey LP on Queen records (what a nice double
queen of hearts logo!).
Ages ago I bought an LP of JD's Decca sides, and they were almost all
nauseating ballads ("Amapola" almost made me puke!), so I bought tha
othe one with apprehension.  It must have been very cheap!  And what a
surprise: the 1935 broadcast is almost non-vocal, and with only one
syrupy ballad, and the other one (actually, there are too many
instruments for its being one band, so I have the feeling that the
personnel is collective) has none whatsoever, just hard swinging
music!  Still, it's sad to see Fud Livingstone relegated to the role
of a mere sideman...
Cheers