[Dixielandjazz] Today's Jazz - was - Tears

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 4 07:35:26 PDT 2012

> John Petters <jdpetters at btinternet.com> wrote polite snip
>

> As for Oliver's band it remains one of the most important ensembles in
> jazz history, so yes they belong on the pedestal. I agree there are some
> great musicians today, but I seldom find latter day jazz of sufficient
> interest to want to keep on listening to it, whereas the Olivers never
> become tiring or boring.

Dear John:

I respect your ears, and my ears while celebrating the difference. With me, it is just the opposite. In fact, heretical though it may be, I hear many of the Oliver recordings after Louis left, as mediocre.

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyX1yTazvxM

The above Olga is nice, but hardly earth shattering. I would rather hear Vince Giordano doing it with Kellso on lead trumpet. Or, listen to the Bix project by Bob Wilber et al than the originals by Bix. Even Chauncey Morehouse who was in both bands, said he preferred the current one to the originals.

Most early jazz bores the hell out of me after I've listened to the same song a few times. Except for Louis,  Bechet,  Pee Wee Russell and maybe a few others, from whom I still learn.

E.G. I would rather repeatedly listen to guys like Randy Reinhart, Jon Erik Kellso, Evan Christopher, Kenny Davern.

Sometimes I think many fans wax eloquently  the "subtlety" and "feel" of early jazz players while ignoring the same attributes in current players.

For my ears, todays top jazz musicians are far superior to yesterday's. Perhaps because I grew up in NYC listening to Condon and the other GREAT Jazz Bands who kept OKOM popular. My ears heard much more energy in most Condon bands than on the records of the old masters.

And musically in my ears, Dutrey, et al, couldn't hold a candle to Mole, Teagarden, Cutshall, McGarity, Janis, Lee Gifford. And likewise, these later guys get blown away by those alive today.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband