[Dixielandjazz] Tears

Shaw, Tim Tim.Shaw at mh.org.au
Mon Jun 4 03:37:31 PDT 2012

I agree with John and  earlier comments by Alain de La Simone.  The NBE band is better than competent and has the advantage of much better recording, but its version lacks the "depth'  of the Oliver 1923 version (as do all the other  revival version I've ever heard). Like Alain,  I find the trumpet vibrato excessive and irritating.

There's nothing much unusual about Tears as a tune - it's a fairly standard pop tune except that it has 40 bars  instead of 32 (ABABC) with a 16 bar verse.

The band play the last 8 (C) as an intro, then verse-chorus-verse and 2 choruses out, with Armstrong playing seven 2-bar breaks in the penultimate chorus. If you listen carefully, you can hear Oliver joining him in the last 2 1-bar breaks.

Dutrey's a bit over-recorded, but I think the tune is pretty clear - a fairly sentimental tune if played straight, but Oliver and Armstrong play it hot - mostly in 3rds and 6ths in the chorus, like a brass band. Dutrey plays a legato counter melody, - the sort of line that the euphoniums would play in the trio of a march (or the cellos would play in a salon orchestra of the time). Dodds provides a counterpoint to the tune and fills in the second 2 bars of each 4.

The CJB recording is one of my favourites because it epitomises the bands best qualities - beautifully integrated and balanced ensemble with lots of complex interplay between the parts -  brilliant Armstrong breaks, great playing by everyone and especially the unifying legato line of Dutrey,  whose "unusual" style is not at all unusual for the time. The only thing missing is the  the blues and Olivers trademark few-note plunger muted breaks.  Most of all it has the feeling of restraint, with power-in-reserve and no sens of  trying too hard or showing off. No revival band I've ever heard quite captures that feeling.

cheers
tim