[Dixielandjazz] Tears

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 4 01:00:56 PDT 2012

Morning folks,

On 04/06/2012 00:58, Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> Here is the original King Oliver version
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlKXnghdq1w
>
> In my ears, the New Black Eagles do a fine job with it. As for melody, I hear a melody. Personally, I prefer listening to the Eagles possibly because the fidelity is much better and I am not a fan of Dutrey's trombone on the Oliver version. In my ears it is a bit sappy.
>
> In terms of musicianship, sometimes I think we tend to put the originals on a pedestal. Deservedly so since they did it first.  However there are some outstanding musicians playing today, like the Eagles on this tune, who also deserve a lot of credit for their rendition which I think swings its ass off.

I listened to the Eagles version and found it to be a good version - but
to my ears, it had neither the depth or feel of the Oliver version - and
that is not to belittle the Eagles at all. Chez Chesterman's band over
here played Tears regularly and when I have put my own Creole band
line-up together for my festivals we sometimes included it.

As for Dutrey, Steve, I believe his contribution to be very interesting.
He has an individual approach. Listen to how nearly everyone mis-times
the trombone breaks on Snake rag for example.

As for Oliver's band it remains one of the most important ensembles in
jazz history, so yes they belong on the pedestal. I agree there are some
great musicians today, but I seldom find latter day jazz of sufficient
interest to want to keep on listening to it, whereas the Olivers never
become tiring or boring.
Cheers,

--
John Petters