[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis Videos

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 23 00:22:12 PST 2012

Stephen G Barbone in answer to a question from Bob Ringwald wrote:

> It is just a personal opinion which does not have to be explained, however, here's why:
> 1) Because Marsalis was not playing trad in any sense of the word as it is usually defined on the DJML.

Dear Steve,
Wow,what a sweeping statement!
On that occasion the Marsalis band was playing 'trad' as you choose to call it.
Very much so. Perhaps, apart from the alto soloist IMO.
During the DJML discussion on this particular subject there were DJMLers who liked the performance.
Notwithstanding years of argument, the definition of jazz, let alone 'trad' has never been defined to the satisfaction of all members of our group, thank heavens.
Which is why we are still here as a reasonably happy jazz family.

> 2) Because most "trad" fans that I run across here in the East hate Marsalis and his OKOM songs concerts for some reason.

Another "wow". Hate is a strong word.

> 3) Because most trad fans that I run across here in the East no longer venture out of their comfort zones. (Jazz Society events, records and maybe an OKOM Festival)

I'll take that as a statement.

> 4) Also, if you view the posts on the DJML about a previous Marsalis concert featuring Jelly Roll's music you find that most of the few folks who commented on it voiced their displeasure about it.

That was not my view. Which is another matter. But surely that's what the DJML is all about.

> 4) So why would a traddie pay $300, or $500 for 90 minutes of music by Marsalis?

I don't know. I wouldn't, but I would never presume to answer for the rest of my listmates.
Just my personal opinion of course.
Very kind regards,
Bill, (not always as one-eyed as people think.)
*>)