[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis Videos

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 22 18:04:33 PST 2012

On Jan 22, 2012, at 2:27 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com>
>
> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
>> Those who saw the band, standing
>> room only, for 4 nights, paid a good sum to be there. For example,
>> tickets on New Years eve were $300 for the early show and $500 for
>> the
>> midnight show. I  don't think there were many,if any, "trad" fans
>> there.
> (snip)
>
> Dear Steve,
>
> Please explain the last sentence of your quoted paragraph above.
>
> What makes you think that there were little or no Trad fans at the
> Marsalis New Years Eve concert?

Dear Bob:

It is just a personal opinion which does not have to be explained,
however, here's why:

1)Because Marsalis was not playing trad in any sense of the word as it
is usually defined on the DJML.

2) Because most "trad" fans that I run across here in  the East hate
Marsalis and his OKOM songs concerts for some reason.

3) Because most trad fans that I run across here in the East no longer
venture out of their comfort zones. (Jazz Society events, records and
maybe an OKOM Festival)

4) Also, if you view the posts on the DJML about a previous Marsalis
concert featuring Jelly Roll's music you find that most of the few
folks who commented on it voiced their displeasure about it.

4) So why would a traddie pay $300, or $500 for 90 minutes of music by
Marsalis?

Cheers,
Steve