[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis Videos

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 25 08:45:35 PST 2012

On Jan 23, 2012, at 3:22 AM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Dear Steve,
> Wow,what a sweeping statement!
> On that occasion the Marsalis band was playing 'trad' as you choose
> to call it.
> Very much so. Perhaps, apart from the alto soloist IMO.
> During the DJML discussion on this particular subject there were
> DJMLers who liked the performance.
> Notwithstanding years of argument, the definition of jazz, let alone
> 'trad' has never been defined to the satisfaction of all members of
> our group, thank heavens.
> Which is why we are still here as a reasonably happy jazz family.

I agree with all you say above except that IMO, Marsalis was not
playing "trad" as many fans here in the USA define the word "trad", or
"Traditional Jazz." Though I did not explain it, I was using the word
trad" as this group of fans describes it. Basically they use a narrow
definition that revolves around a banjo/tuba rhythm section playing 2
beat. If any of the above are not present in the music, it isn't
"trad". I would call that style West Coast Revival, or San Francisco
Revival, or San Francisco Trad, instead of "trad". The folks who
played it first were Lu Watters, Bob Scobey and Turk Murphy. Starting
in the late 1930s. Here are some examples:

http://www.sftradjazz.org/downloads/ohbyjing.html

http://www.sftradjazz.org/downloads/fidget2.html

http://www.sftradjazz.org/downloads/doctorja.html

>> Barbone wrote: 2) Because most "trad" fans that I run across here
>> in the East hate Marsalis and his OKOM songs concerts for some
>> reason.
>
> Another "wow". Hate is a strong word.

Yes, but mostly accurate IMO. Marsalis was the target of all sorts of
slings and arrows from the moment he burst upon the national scene.
Lots of people hate his music, hate his "attitude", hate his success
etc. I could give many examples but in the interest of brevity will
not. You can easily research them. <VBG>

Speaking of "trad" fans, here is a portion of a letter to the American
Rag, Nov 2012,  from a "trad" fan.

"At one time, back when I lived and worked in Sacramento, I used to
look forward to attending that festival, back when the emphasis was on
REAL JAZZ, instead of zydeco, Western swing, salsa, and other types of
so-called musical forms which have infiltrated and now dominate that
event.The musical quality of that festival has steadily deteriorated
over the years to the point where I, and am sure many other DIE-HARD
TRADITIONALISTS (emphasis mine) no longer find enough bands who
specialize in Our Kind Of Music  to justify being in attendance."

Besides confusing his narrow definitiion of "trad" with the broader
OKOM, this guy went on the denigrate the people who run the festival,
called it "SUCKramento etc. To me that's 'hate" as well as stupidity.
At my count there were quite a few OKOM bands at Sacramento last year
and about 5 or 6 banjo/tuba "trad" (narrow definition) bands among
them. I printed the entire letter on the DJML on Nov 13, 2011 and also
my defense of what Bob Ringwald and others were doing to save the
festival. (via a letter to the editor of American Rag)

> 4) Also, if you view the posts on the DJML about a previous Marsalis
> concert featuring Jelly Roll's music you find that most of the few
> folks who commented on it voiced their displeasure about it.
>
> That was not my view. Which is another matter. But surely that's
> what the DJML is all about.

No disagreement here. Each to his own opinion.  Even though you wear
an eye patch, you are not a narrowly focused  "traddie".

>> 4) So why would a traddie pay $300, or $500 for 90 minutes of music
>> by Marsalis?
>
> I don't know. I wouldn't, but I would never presume to answer for
> the rest of my listmates.
> Just my personal opinion of course.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill, (not always as one-eyed as people think.)
> *>)

Me neither, which is why I asked the question.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband