[Dixielandjazz] The Marsalis Videos (Oliver and Jelly Roll)

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 19 08:57:41 PST 2012

Thanks Eric H for posting your experience with Wynton Marsalis.
Wonderful story about how gracious the man is.

Jonathan Russell, the young violinist, also had similar experiences
with Marsalis in NYC and got to do a "Jazz for kids" special with the
band. Afterwards, he got an open invitation to sit in with the band at
any rehearsals, at any time, at Lincoln Center. Marsalis, for all the
flak he takes, is a generous and giving man.

Regarding his musical presentation of the music of Jelly Roll and
Oliver, I think he proves the the music of those two is timeless. Here
is my take:

No, the band does not sound like Oliver or Jelly Roll, but then they
obviously did not want to. Certainly the rhythm section is more
modern, as are some of the soloists, as is the ensemble work after the
theme is stated. Why?

I think it goes to what they meant to do. The folks who go to Dizzy's
Club Coca Cola at Lincoln center are much more appreciative of "modern
jazz" than of the older forms. My take on the performances is that
Marsalis wanted to showcase the "Music" of the old guys and how it
could be played in more modern form or how the banjo, for example,
could meld with a modern arrangement. So, the rhythm section laid down
a modern groove and the band played in a more modern style.

I believe he was demonstrating to a "Hip" (if you will) audience that
old time music is indeed relevant to them. In that regard, the
audience seemed to be quite satisfied.

And audience is the key as I see it. Those who saw the band, standing
room only, for 4 nights, paid a good sum to be there. For example,
tickets on New Years eve were $300 for the early show and $500 for the
midnight show. I  don't think there were many,if any, "trad" fans there.

So drummer Al Jackson didn't play like Baby Dodds, and the Sax was
quite modern. This was counter balanced by the banjo of James
Chirillo, the washboard of "Dirty Red" Gordon and the clarinet of
Victor Goines.

Bottom line? It seems to me that Marsalis proved a point.  Namely that
the "music" of Jelly Roll Morton and King Oliver is timeless, can be
updated, and can be made relevant to todays audience.

But then, I'm prejudiced. my band tries to do similar things at
several levels below LCJB of course. VBG

Kind of like comparing these two versions of High Society. Separated
by two generations, each has its own merits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvw0a_2uezE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEN9fuZe2fE&feature=related

Cheers,
Steve Barbone