[Dixielandjazz] Beans and Rice

Rickz rickz at usermail.com
Thu Jan 19 08:20:46 PST 2012

Belize is the first country south of Mexico on the Caribbean
Beans and Rice are a staple in Belize.   Belizeans eat them every day at
noon, maybe twice!
(instead of potatoes)

Belizeans have several varieties.

"Rice and Beans" is the staple.  5 parts rice to one part beans.  Some
Belizeans call that "dirty rice" but it is nothing like Cajun Dirty Rice.

"Stew Beans and Rice" is actually a bean dish, served over plain rice.

"Beans and Rice" is nominally "Red Beans and Rice".   But sometimes they
use Black Beans!!

Affluent Belizeans frequently have "Stew Chicken" with their rice and
beans.

I spent six years in Belize, and my adventures are collected on
belizenorth.com.

It is a popular site, and the most popular part is the recipes.    The
recipes are all here:
http://belizenorth.com/belizean_recipes_text.htm

As I say, the site is very popular.  Let me know what you think.

Rick Jolley
(Senor Reek)
http://belizenorth.com