[Dixielandjazz] Reminder - Turn off your cellphone at concerts

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 13 09:37:07 PST 2012

Not OKOM but the message applies. VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Ringing Finally Ended, but There’s No Button to Stop Shame

By DANIEL J. WAKIN - NYTIMES

They were baying for blood in the usually polite precincts of Avery
Fisher Hall.

The unmistakably jarring sound of an iPhone marimba ring interrupted
the soft and spiritual final measures of Mahler’s Symphony No. 9 at
the New York Philharmonic on Tuesday night. The conductor,Alan
Gilbert, did something almost unheard-of in a concert hall: He stopped
the performance. But the ringing kept on going, prompting increasingly
angry shouts in the audience directed at the malefactor.

After words from Mr. Gilbert, and what seemed like weeks, the
cellphone owner finally silenced his device. After the audience
cheered, the concert resumed. Internet vitriol ensued.

But no one, it seems, felt worse than the culprit, who agreed to an
interview on Thursday on condition that he not be identified — for
obvious reasons.

“You can imagine how devastating it is to know you had a hand in
that,” said the man, who described himself as a business executive
between 60 and 70 who runs two companies. “It’s horrible, horrible.”
The man said he had not slept in two days.

The man, called Patron X by the Philharmonic, said he was a lifelong
classical music lover and 20-year subscriber to the orchestra who was
friendly with several of its members. He said he himself was often
irked by coughs, badly timed applause — and cellphone rings. “Then
God, there was I. Holy smokes,” he said.

“It was just awful to have any role in something like that, that is so
disturbing and disrespectful not only to the conductor but to all the
musicians and not least to the audience, which was so into this
concert,” he said by telephone.

“I hope the people at that performance and members of the orchestra
can certainly forgive me for this whole event. I apologize to the
whole audience.”

Patron X said he received a call from an orchestra official the day
after the concert. He had been identified by his front-row seat. The
official politely asked him not to do it again, he said, and the man
took the opportunity to ask to speak to Mr. Gilbert, to apologize in
person.

The men talked by telephone (it was a land line) on Thursday
afternoon. Mr. Gilbert said he told Patron X, “I’m really sorry you
had to go through this,” and accepted his apology.

Before that, the disruption became the marimba ring tone heard round
the world, prompting feverish commentary on blogs and comment forums
about performance interruptions.

In a Twitter message, the composer Daniel Dorff said, “Changed my
ringtone to play #Mahler 9 just in case.” A YouTube poster
superimposed a marimba sound over a performance of the piece by
Leonard Bernstein.

The episode seemed to serve as an extreme example of how one of the
staples of modern life can disrupt a live performance, because of both
Mr. Gilbert’s reaction and the guilty party’s long delay in shutting
off the cellphone.

Actually, Patron X said he had no idea he was the culprit. He said his
company replaced his BlackBerry with an iPhone the day before the
concert. He said he made sure to turn it off before the concert, not
realizing that the alarm clock had accidentally been set and would
sound even if the phone was in silent mode.

“I didn’t even know phones came with alarms,” the man said.

But as Mr. Gilbert was glaring in his direction, he fiddled with the
phone as others around him did, just to be sure, pressing buttons.
That was when the sound stopped. It was only in the car going home
that his wife checked the settings on his phone and found that the
alarm had been set.

Cellphones often go off during all sorts of performances, but the
Mahler incident was a rarity: It happened during one of music’s most
sublime moments, it did not stop after a few seconds, and it emanated
from the front row, where it was impossible for Mr. Gilbert to ignore.

The Philharmonic said the ushers at Avery Fisher Hall — who work for
Lincoln Center, not the orchestra — should have intervened. Lincoln
Center said it was investigating.

Both Mr. Gilbert and Patron X found something positive in the episode.

“It shows how important people still feel live performance is,” Mr.
Gilbert said. “This is something people either consciously or
implicitly recognize as sacred.”

The patron agreed. The incident underscored “the very enduring and
important bond between the audience and the performers,” he said,
adding, “If it’s disturbed in any significant way, it just shows how
precious this whole union is.”

James Barron contributed reporting.