[Dixielandjazz] FW: Swing dance gigs

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jan 11 09:22:58 PST 2012

>but are only interested in the right rhythm for the dances. He does the
gigs, but would rather be playing for an audience the enjoys the music. Is
this just a UK thing or maybe just this area or do others see a similar
thing happening?

Andy Ling

Andy, I heard the same comment expressed by a friend playing in a Big Band
near Palos Verdes, California a few years ago.  The dance floor was full all
night, but little attention was given to the band.  I felt that the dancers
would have equally been happy with recorded music.  These guys were all
Hollywood players!

When we play a local dance club, we play 4 songs & take a break while the
dancers dance to recorded music.  We later do another 4 songs.  That's the
gig!  Do the folks enjoy the band?  They seem to.  Do they enjoy the
records?  They seem to.  I think we get hired so the club can expose their
dancers to live music a bit.

Jim