[Dixielandjazz] FW: Swing dance gigs

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Jan 17 17:00:02 PST 2012

Jim Kashishian wrote regarding playing for Swing Dancers:

> When we play a local dance club, we play 4 songs & take a break while the
> dancers dance to recorded music.  We later do another 4 songs.  That's the
> gig!  Do the folks enjoy the band?  They seem to.  Do they enjoy the
> records?  They seem to.  I think we get hired so the club can expose their
> dancers to live music a bit.

Doesn't make sense -- At least by American standards.  Here in the States if the dancers enjoyed the recorded music equally as much as a live band, the promoters would save themselves a whole
piss-pot full of money and just use recordings.  The promoters here aren't a bit interested in exposing the dancers to live bands if they get the same response from recorded music.

Speaking as a business man, can you blame them?

I wonder when the promoters in Spain will wise up???

--Bob Ringwald