[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dances at Denver Airport

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 10 08:39:23 PST 2012

 less popular when the dancing stopped and folks
insisted upon silence so they could listen to the "art" music.>>

Hi Steve,
thats different.  My local club is certainly not `quietly listening to art
music` People are talking quietly, getting beer, usually between numbers.If
someone kicks up too much row they get told off.
The music is listened to.A  good solo break is rewarded by a round of
applause. There are often  jokes from the band between numbers and efforts
to sell their CD`s. There is a raffle run by the club and food sold in the
interval. Plenty of chatting  between friends.
It is not the same as the days when I used to organise dances with Kenny
Ball or Terry Lightfoot. That was dancing. Every number.Take your girl back
to her  home and then get to bed yourself around 2 in the morning and up to
get to work at 7.30 . A couple of nights a week.Where did those days go?
No wonder I just want to listen to the music now.

Cheers

Pat