[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dances at Denver Airport

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 10 07:22:57 PST 2012

On Jan 10, 2012, at 7:00 AM, Pat Ladd wrote:

> Yes, I can believe it. I once brought about 16 swing dancers to a
> concert we did at a jazz club.etc>>
>
> Stephen,
>
> Go steady on the old guard. The important bit there is that you were
> doing a CONCERT not a dance.
>
> I should stop going to my local jazz club too if they had swing
> dancers. These days I go to listen to the music. I went to dances
> when I was younger and everyone danced. People who want to listen to
> the music do not go to DANCES. You mix the two at your peril.
>
> Isn`t there room for both? My jazz club has no dancing and is well
> attended..
> The local Council who run Swing Dance sessions seem to be fully
> booked .
>
> Thats great. But keep them separate.

Dear Pat

Oops! I was not quite clear. I should have used "event" and not
"concert". Dancing was encouraged at this jazz club. The old folks
danced there all the time, albeit Fox Trots. VBG.

For one reason or another, the older folks looked upon the infusion of
youngsters as an invasion of their turf. Yet their club "turf" keeps
shrinking every year as members die off. This club used to have over
250 attendees, now some events, with excellent bands get less that 60.
"Angels", who contribute to a fund are the only reason they can have
bands there as the attendance fees do not cover the band and venue costs

Why keep swing dancers and jazz events separate? Why not mix the old
folks with the young? Put the dancers on the side, if you must,
however why should dancing interfere with listening? It is these very
young people that we need (at least here in the USA and it may well be
different in the UK) in order to perpetuate the clubs.

Jazz was "dancing" music for the first half century. IMO, it started
to become less and less popular when the dancing stopped and folks
insisted upon silence so they could listen to the "art" music.

For me, if I want to listen intently to "art" music, I turn on my
record player, or radio and emulate Greta Garbo (eg: "I want to be
alone")

BTW. Now, some 10 years later, this very club is seeking to attract
young people and GASP . . . Swing Dancers. Finally, they get it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband