[Dixielandjazz] Quoting a price for services over the phone

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Jan 8 10:45:42 PST 2012

Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> I'm with John McClernan.
>
> What works for me is finding out as much as I can about the gig before
> I get around to quoting a price. I try and keep control of the
> conversation by asking questions like:
>
> What city is the is the gig in? What is the venue? How many attendees?
> Is there a theme for the gig? Do I need to bring a sound system? How
> many hours? What day/night of the week? Does the band get fed? (if the
> gig is during a dinner hour, or it is a wedding) etc., etc., etc.

Absolutely.  I neglected to say that in my previous post.  I only get to the budget and the price after asking all those questions.  Also the dress code, amount of people.  I get a real feel for the person before I ever get to the price.  And don't always ask for their budget.  I play it by ear.

As I said before, we all have our style.  Mine works for me.

I'll never forget the time I asked for their budget.  They said $4,500.  I said I think that would be OK.

>From Barbados.  Bob Ringwald

P.S.
Steve, Unlike you, I made a living playing music.  Worked thousands of gigs.  Worked 7-nights
a week, also cocktail hours, lunch hours.  Supported a wife and 3-kids.

Would I now rather play a few gigs in an old people's home and drive to my 3rd gig in one day . . . . Or be playing with the great Bob Schulz band on this 13 day Caribbean cruise?  A paid vacation for myself and my wife, playing with one of the best Trad bands around today.  What do you think?

--Bob (Barbados is really nice) Ringwald