[Dixielandjazz] JRM & Maralis

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 16:54:54 PST 2012

> "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
>> On Jan 1, 2012, at 2:56 PM, "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com>
>> wrote about Marsalis:
>
>>> If that is true, then he is doing a great diservice to Jazz by
>>> releasing inferior examples of early Jazz. . . .
>
>  And followed up with:I still stand by my earlier comments.  In
> fact, I will state here that IMO the Marsalis recording of "Sidewalk
> Blues" is full of flaws and is not worthy of Marsalis's talent. . . .

Dear Bob:

Give me a break. VBG.

The Marsalis version of Sidewalk, is a wonderful record. Sure, the
trombone solo is a little weak, but his work throughout the record is
fine. Other flaws? Perhaps we judge too harshly comparing it to JRM.
After all, the original is always better simply because it is
original. Plus Marsalis is obviously not trying to duplicate JRM.

The time on the record varies exactly the way JRM's does after the
piano intro, both slow down immediately, then stabilize. Maybe
Marsalis copied that part. (VBG) Other than that it is relatively
constant from beginning to end. My metronome is electronic and I trust
it better than anyones ears. Got it to prove to some pesky swing
dancers that when they ask for 160 BPM, we play 160 BPM.

Like you, I prefer the JRM version because it is the original
creation., However it is not an either or situation. His version is
not an attempt to duplicate JRM, especially the way the rhythm is
played (modernized for better or worse) I think folks who are not jazz
heads upon hearing the Marsalis version would love it. It has in my
ears fire, humor and stands merit on its own. I also think that we
can't have things both ways. Like stating that Marsalis has done a lot
of good for jazz, in earlier posts, and then claiming this record does
jazz a disservice. I suspect that his version will bring more new
audience to OKOM than anything anyone else has released in the past 20
years.

While we "knowledgeable OKOM fans" may find all sorts of things wrong
with it and his other OKOM attempts when compared to the earlier jazz
records, he brings more new audience to the appreciation of OKOM than
we could ever hope to. And for me, that is the bottom line. IMO, those
of us who are not doing that, are simply playing with ourselves.

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband