[Dixielandjazz] Quoting a price for services over the phone

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 14:15:52 PST 2012

I'm with John McClernan.

What works for me is finding out as much as I can about the gig before
I get around to quoting a price. I try and keep control of the
conversation by asking questions like:

What city is the is the gig in? What is the venue? How many attendees?
Is there a theme for the gig? Do I need to bring a sound system? How
many hours? What day/night of the week? Does the band get fed? (if the
gig is during a dinner hour, or it is a wedding) etc., etc., etc.

That we I control where the conversation goes and get a feel for how
to price the gig.

Obviously if it is a private party or wedding in a posh country club,
I quote a higher price ask because those folks usually expect to pay
more and if you charge s pittance, you stand a good chance of being
judged as a lousy band without them ever hearing you. But if it is a
Pizza joint, I would be inclined to charge less. And Saturday nights
are twice as much as weeknights. etc., etc, etc,

Then I handle the price objection is it arises. And if there is a
finite budget that does not met my minimum for the 6 piece band, in
that particular kind of venue, I offer them 3 or four musicians
instead of the 6 piece band..

We rarely lose a gig because of price, and usually get quite a bit
more than competing bands.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband