[Dixielandjazz] Quoting a price for services over the phone

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Jan 7 07:07:38 PST 2012

Absolutely.  If you give them a price anywhere near to the beginning of the
conversation you have a very good chance of losing it.

You have to keep control of the conversation.  That doesn't mean you talk
all the time.  Ask questions like Steve suggested.

Follow Steve's blueprint.

Another killer question is what kind of music do you play?  Again engage
them and find out what they want.

When I first started booking a band frankly, I was terrible at it and lost
at least 75% of the calls I got simply because I broke the rules.

Let me add.  Never quote a price by E-mail.  Get their phone number and call
them.  After losing the first three E-mail bids I learned.  That's a 100%
loss.    Even when I was a beginner I did better than that.  If you must use
e-mail then break it up the same way you direct a conversation but I highly
recommend not doing it.
Larry
StL