[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Origins - Was Dogfight

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 4 08:00:51 PST 2012

>  Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote (polite snip)
>
> In an Off List email to me Steve Barbone asked:
>> BTW what do you think of that Jack Stewart article. I found it
>> fascinating, but then I am not the researcher you are.
>
> Dear Steve,
> My sincere apology.
> Festive family and jazz events got in the way over the past week and
> I failed to acknowledge your emails dated 29 December 2011
> containing the link to the very interesting and informative Jack
> Stewart ODJB article.
> Which I already have, as it was published in 'The Jazz Archivist',
> the occasional (and wonderful) Newsletter published by the William
> Ransom Hogan Jazz Archives at Tulane University.
> I am a longtime recipient of the newsletter (from 1992) and have the
> issue Vol.XIX (2005-2006) in which Mr Stewart's article was also
> published.
> I instantly recalled reading it, was also fascinated, and impressed
> with his conclusions.
> Then promptly forgot all about it.
> (Comes with age, as you young blokes will learn soon enough.)
> In the DJML dogfight over the current 'Dogfight' thread a few of our
> listmates may have missed your link at:
>   http://www.odjb.com/Documents/New%20Orleans%20International%20Music%20Colloquium%20ODJB2_Jack%20Stewart.pdf
> Well worth the visit.

Dear Bill:

You, Jack Mitchell and I talked about the article referenced above. To
me it was an eye opener and worthy of much discussion pro and con. I
hope most fans on the DJML will read it and one will start a thread.
It is indeed an very interesting article about the birth of jazz.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband