[Dixielandjazz] Jazz History

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 4 07:47:20 PST 2012

>  "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote
>
>    Stephen G Barbone  wrote:
>
>> " Probably because your musicians skipped the Ragtime era, and the
>> Marching Band era as a precursor to the development of jazz.
>> Musicians
>> who picked up on jazz directly from the USA, apparently did not
>> research
>> how it developed in the USA."
>

> Steve, I have found that most Trad musicians outside the USA know
> the history of American Jazz better than us Yanks.
>
> Likewise, and even more so, with the non-American fans.  I remember
> speaking to one of the Preservation Hall JB musicians who told me
> that young kids in Europe knew more about his life than he could
> remember.

Dear Bob:

I don't doubt it.

Regarding my words you quoted above, I explained them previously as
being awkwardly phrased. What I meant to impart is that here in the
USA, jazz developed directly from Marching Band Music and Ragtime (and
Blues etc). While in the rest of the world jazz developed from hearing
American Jazz Bands play it.

Thus for a long time, jazz as played here in the USA was different
from jazz played elsewhere. Perhaps a good example is British Trad
which developed directly from hearing US Jazz Bands playing New
Orleans Style. While those US New Orleans Jazz Bands developed their
style directly from a mix of Marching Bands, Blues, Ragtime etc. So
you get differences in the way the two genres, British Trad, and U.S.
New Orleans, are played.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband