[Dixielandjazz] Fw: The results of your email commands

John McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 3 13:29:49 PST 2012

Pet peeve of mine........musicians who do NOT quote a price for their services to a prospective client, asking instead, "what does the job pay?"  For pete's sake, you can't call your mechanic and say "hey, my car needs brakes, the job pays $60, do you want it?"  And does your mechanic go home after work and practice with his tools?!
Try calling your account and tell him you need your taxes done, it should take about an hour and the job pays $40 for the hour. If he doesn't hang up on you, he will laugh in your face.

Buying your service is rightly a negotiation. As with most every job we have ever held, the employer tried to buy our services for as little as possible and we tried to get him to pay as much as possible. Music performance is no different, in my view.
We need to treat our craft as a profession and not a hobby!..............sure, it might be a little bit harder sell because our product can be recreated by mechanical means, but don't let that deter you. As Brian points out, we have put time, effort and expense into our art. Don't sell it cheap. That hurts us all.

Ok, off the soapbox. Happy new year to everyone.
Cheers,
John