[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight!!!

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Jan 2 08:48:31 PST 2012

Listmates,

I have been very busy this past week and have not been able to keep up with DJML.  Sitting in a hotel room in Ft Lauderdale at this moment catching up while waiting for the shuttle bus to take us to the JazzSea Cruise where I'll be playing with Bob Schulz.  I have never seen a thread go on and on and on as this dog fight thread has.

On the ship I was planning to ask Schulz about his suspect "Dog fight" statement but Scott has cleared it up, see below.

> I just talked to Schulz about 5 minutes ago, and he said that if he told the
> Jazz Camp class that a loose out-chorus was a "dogfight" then (I quote), "I
> might have been drunk."

Either Schulz was drunk, or the students were drunk.  Hmmmmm, maybe they were all drunk???

> The Portena band clips are really great, but there is nothing that we, at
> least in the Bob Schulz Frisco Jazz Band or the Golden Gate Rhythm Machine
> would call a "dogfight" in either clip. If you listen to the two clips I
> provided yesterday, the dogfights are specific "parts" of certain tunes
> (like verse and chorus and trio), not just loose and/or louder ensemble
> choruses. Not every composition has one.

Likewise in my band, the Fulton Street JB.

Pay attention to what Scott says as he speaks the truth.  He may have an air bed at his house that leaks so that at 4:00 AM his guests find themselves sleeping on the hard floor, but when it comes to music, he is not full of hot air...  Well, maybe just a little...

> Clips from yesterday:
>
> In "Clarinet Marmalade" it occurs at 1:06 and 2:54 in the following clip:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xn_3T4vbtE
>
> At about 1:00 and 3:09 in "That's A'Plenty" in the following clip:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ8t1UpIJ-Y
>
> Scott Anthony

Bob Ringwald
Almost at sea