[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen's clarinet

Tito Martino titomartino at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 10:01:31 PST 2012

Hi Bob

yes, a play ALSO an Albert system clarinet, who belonged to Omer Simeon.
Actually... I try to play...    I can't leave mi Bohem and according to
Barbone,
there's very few clarinetists in the whole world who can play BOTH systems.
It has out of question a better sound, mainly in the chalumeau register.
I can blow perfectly only a couple of tunes which I will record in my next
CD.
 Here is a mail exchange that I had many years ago with Stan McDonald, who
sold me the instrument.
I talked here in Sao Paulo to Doctor White, who confirmed the story
and told me he lost his other Simeon's Albert in Katrina.

Cheers,
Tito
--
*Tito Martino Jazz Band*
www.titomartinojazzband.com.br
titomartino at gmail.com

====================================
*
Subject: Omer_Simeon's_clarinet_playing_again
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:21:04 -0300

Hi DJML,

I'm proud to spread the news that the Albert system clarinet formerly =
owned by Omer Simeon,
probably the last one he used till his last year (1959), is in my hands, =
and playing again.   I dont intend to abandon my Buffet (Bohem), has =
a big sound too, but as soon as I master the WEIRD fingering again (my =
first clarinet was an Albert), I intend to record, in Simeon's style, =
some tunes already put on records by Simeon. Do you know Lagniappe, =
Grande Boubousse, Qua-ti Blues, Qua-ti Rhythm, St. James Inf., Bill =
Bayley, trios with Sammy Price and Zutty on the only recording session =
Omer made under his name? I reccomend.
To those interested, here is the story as told by the one who sold it to =
me, my friend Stan McDonald, clarinet and sop.sax. extraordinaire, =
formerly with the New Black Eagle Jazz Band and now with his own Blue =
Horizon Jazz Band:

Dear Tito,

Correction:  Serial No. is 7003, not 5003. I got this horn from Frank =
Laidlaw, about 1979.  Frank played trumpet and clarinet in the Red Onion =
Jazz Band, opposite Omer/Wilbur De Paris at Jimmy Ryan's, 52nd Street in =
the late '50's.  Frank knew Omer well, and tells this story:

Omer died in '61 or '62, leaving three Albert system clarinets (all =
Selmers, I guess, but forgot to ask) which were pawned by Wilbur de =
Paris.  (Frank doesn't know what became of Omer's Conn soprano sax, =
which he coveted.)  Frank got all three clarinets from the pawnbroker, =
then sold one to Al Volmer, another to Michael White, who he thinks paid =
about $1,000.  I got the third.  Frank recalls that he traded it to me =
for an 18th century Boxwood clarinet.

We have no idea how long this horn was played by Omer, but by the key =
wear, one would imagine he played it a lot for a long time; possibly =
with Earl Hines before the DeParis Brothers.  He obviously must have =
recorded with it.  Of course, Omer had the other clarinets, but he =
played Albert System only.  (According to Frank, Albert Nicholas changed =
to Boehme system when with King Oliver.)  Will sell Omer's clarinet to =
you for $800.  Perhaps too much still, but I will not offer it to anyone =
else at this price until I hear from you.  Anyone who sounds so much =
like Albert Nicholas deserves this instrument!

Best regards,
Stan

Hi Stan
I'm so happy with the reconditioned clarinet.   According to Selmer, =
Serial No. 7003 was made around 1929.  It's made of  M'Pingo wood =
(not grenadilla, but real african ebony) and shining silver league keys =
(we say Alpaca,that's 65% silver plus other metals).  The many cracks (5 in
=
the barrel, 2 in the bell, some almost invisible) just disappeared.  =
Also the dent on top of one joint was repaired.  The work cost me about =
120 bucks (USDollars) but was worth of -  it's almost like new and =
WHAT A SOUND!!!        Very similar to Omer's on the recordings.   I =
use nr. 3 1/2  Rico Royal reed in an old Berg-Larsen clarinet mouthpiece =
that belonged formerly (40 years ago) to my friend the great Booker =
Pittman, he played soprano and alto with  Lucky Millinder Band, =
immigrated to Argentina and later to Brasil after a fight, and made some =
success in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo where he died about 1973.=20

Except for some minor leakages (new pads) to be fitted soon, the =
instrument is in very playable condition; but as I supposed, I am having =
a very tough time re-learning the Albert's weird fingering positions!   =

Best wishes, from your Brazilian Friend,

Tito Martino
cl,as,ss, Tito Martino Jazz Band
Sao Paulo  Brazil

*