[Dixielandjazz] An Opposing view

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 21 07:52:29 PST 2012

> "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com>
>
>> Interesting read. Does this make any sense in the jazz world?.
>>
>> An opposing view -- Trumpeter says orchestras are wrong to kowtow
>> to youth
>> http://www.registerguard.com/web/entertainmentarts/27545677-41/symphony-balio-says-orchestras-baltimore.html.csp
>

> I think this guy is living in an alternate universe.
>
> You have to get them while they are young because the older ones,
> (current audience) are dead and gone before you know it.
>
> Your future audience is the young people.  Again, before you know
> it, they will be the older audience.  Ignore the young people and in
> a few years you won't have anyone to play to.

I agree with Bob. It is also well to note that the trumpeter says the
target should be women and gays. So all that he suggests is changing
the target slightly. If you target YOUNG women, the YOUNG men will
follow and you'll have your new audience. Works for my band.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband