[Dixielandjazz] Request re "Blues Over Bodega"

Art Wood artwoo at aol.com
Thu Feb 2 17:06:16 PST 2012

Hi: What a gem of an album that is! I believe that Lu came out of retirement to play and protest a planned nuclear plant in Bodega Bay that was never built. The highlight for me was Wally Rose playing Pork and Beans...what a fluid and effortless style he had on the piano. Wally avoided the typical grinder approach to ragtime piano. Bob Helm was great. It is fun to hear his surprise phrases which remind me of Pee Wee Russell. I think Bob was always trying to be fresh and not rely on the same phrases.

Barbara Dane was also in top form; her diction and delivery were superb.
Respectfully, Art Wood SF Bay Area
--

Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

Dear Scott,
Others (Mike Logsden, et al) should be able to help with the requested scan of the 'Bodega' LP as I don't have the original Fantasy LP S8-5016.
However, from the description of the "badly cropped" online pic you have with the title "Memories of the Bodega Battle", I believe that this is the Volume Five • Homespun Records H-105 reissue - which I am holding in my hand at the moment.
With a great Ed Lawless photograph of Lu in a checkered lumberjack jacket leaning on the balcony of his shack.
I also have the Good Time Jazz (Fantasy) CD you mention, ' Blues Over Bodega' GTJCD-12066-2, reissued in 2000.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: That Bodega album is a favourite album of mine. So-much-so that I am spinning it while writing this.