[Dixielandjazz] Slim Gaillard

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 4 17:12:06 PST 2012

the poise, and much else can be seen on YouTube

As I recall his career in UK took a little time to develop, the first appearance in Edinburgh, home of the HEP label, was reviewed in terms of interesting to see him, but quite what he was going to do hadn't at first been worked out.
I also gather that from early on he was a very influential guitarist, another interesting point.  It was probably unusual at a time when there were budding virtuoso players, and people who could play a lot of notes, that this highly musical performer had worked out how some things could be done that meant something, within a modest capability.

There doesn't seem to be much of a tradition of calling men Slim in UK
Not that the name has ever been likely for me

with broad good wishes!
Robert