[Dixielandjazz] "Why Americans Don't Like Jazz"- -Paul Kurtz writes

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 26 03:21:33 PDT 2012

busy cultures don't like jazz (and classical, for
that matter) is that it takes work to listen.>>

What follows from that was referred to by another lister. In the early days
the music was simple. As it evolved (became more complex) the ease of
listening was lost and the music became less popular.
Because its popularity waned it was not played on the radio etc. Because it
was not played less people were exposed to it and it became less popular.
Because it became less popular it was played less etc ad infinitum.

Regarding `knowing the lyrics` improving the musicians understanding and
feeling for the music. I always knew the lyrics of the tunes the band played
(I have been around a long time) and this improved my appreciation and I
hope, performance. And I was a drummer.

Pat