[Dixielandjazz] Sammy Davis Jr., Matt Dennis, Lisa Kirk on "The Big Party"

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Apr 14 16:14:00 PDT 2012

    Here's a fun discovery: a complete, 90-minute episode of "The Big Party by Revlon,"
a short-lived 1959 variety show, with musical guests Sammy Davis Jr., accompanied
by Matt Dennis (at 13:00), singing "It Ain't Necessarily So" and "All the Way" (the
latter with his impressions of other crooners), and Lisa Kirk and her boys (at 52:00),
performing "I Travel Light" and "I'm Sitting on Top of the World," both from her
"At the Plaza" album. Then for the final segments around 1:11:00, Rock Hudson sings
"Pillow Talk," Matt sings "Violets for Your Furs" and "Will You Still Be Mine," Lisa
sings "Everything Happens to Me," and the assembled partiers (including Esther Williams
and Tallulah Bankhead) sing "Let's Get Away from It All." Sammy then sings "Fascinating
Rhythm" and "The Birth of the Blues," and the stars, as they exit individually, sing
"The Party's Over"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqWh9nJH9EA
Ah, the golden age of variety! I'd dearly love to see the episode with Peggy Lee.
(Also featuring Carol Channing, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Gene Krupa...)