[Dixielandjazz] Phoebe Jacobs, R.I.P.

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Apr 14 16:23:43 PDT 2012

Paid notice, New York Times, April 11, 2012
On behalf of Jazz at Lincoln Center's board, staff and the members of the Jazz at
Lincoln Center Orchestra, past and present:
All of us at Jazz at Lincoln Center loved Phoebe Jacobs. We loved her feisty outspoken
spirit, we loved her New York accent and style, we loved to listen to her talk about
the past and her deep friendships with Louis Armstrong and so many other jazz greats,
and we loved her optimism and her bright clear gaze always fixed on the next horizon
and on the future. More than anything, we loved Phoebe Jacobs because she embodied
the very essence and the heart and soul of America's greatest art form, jazz. She
talked jazz, she swung jazz, she ate jazz, she danced jazz, and she lived the past
and future of jazz. She was her own second line and wherever she was, the language,
sound, taste and smell of our music -- jazz -- was always there. Almost from the
very beginning of Jazz at Lincoln Center she was one of our brightest guardian angels.
Phoebe and the Louis Armstrong Foundation, which she chaired and vice chaired, were
there to guide, fund and challenge us to do more to spread the good news about jazz
and its unique position in the story of America and American culture. The millions
of dollars from the Louis Armstrong Foundation were essential to our growth and recognized
success but even more important was the special gift Phoebe gave to us: the gift
of herself with her warm, wonderful, honest personality. Her deep devotion and belief
in the importance of this music helped us create so many programs which will influence
generations of children to love jazz as she did and recognize its powerful message
of making the world a warmer, more democratic and soulful place. We loved Phoebe
dearly and will miss her and the sparkle she radiated whenever she entered our House
of Swing. We send our deepest sympathy to her children and grandchildren.
Lisa Schiff, Chairman
Wynton Marsalis, Artistic Director
Gordon J. Davis, Founding Chairman