[Dixielandjazz] Chords ... again

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sat Apr 14 12:15:40 PDT 2012

Bonjour / Bonsoir,

I want to give a working example of why I find the 'science' of voicing
and substitutions so interesting. I am working up an arrangement of
Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". The tune is earmarked, of course, by the
little vamp between the tonic and the 6th degree. For demonstration
here, I will use the key of E major which is the key of the clip below.
The tune has been done in almost every key by many singers.

So, the vamp is E (tonic) to C#m (6th). The notes in E are [E - G# - B].
If C#m7 is played for C#m we have [C# - E - G# - B). The second chord
has all the notes from the first chord, but we add the C# in the bass.
Funny how one note can change the color so much.

I offer as example a version by K.D. Lang which will not be OKOM for
many. But, listen to the vamp at :16 to :32. It comes back 1:13 to 1:29
and then 2:10 to 2:24.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

I'm not asking you to like the tune or anything (I love it), just wanted
to show off what changing one little note can do. I won't break it down
here, but the mounting phrase in the second line has great changes. Many
of the changes are simple substitutions; changing one note, but what drama.

Respectfully, Gary

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand