[Dixielandjazz] 6th Chords

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 15:47:40 PDT 2012

Hi Al,
Thanks for the link below.  I go in the "enjoy it" category.
Ginny

In a message dated 4/11/2012 11:28:56 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
alevy at alevy.com writes:

===============
Al: (Ellington inversions etc)
When I was in  my teens it took me months to figure out what Pete Rugolo
used for the  first chord of "Sorrento" - Stan Kenton recording. You should
listen
to it.  I finally figured it out. C minor the tonic or I (key) chord with
the Major  7th
on the bottom. Not bad on piano but give to a brass section and the  earth
trembles.
Add Vido Musso's growly tenor improvising above it and...
If you are not familiar with the arrangement here is a  link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOORJDYZnI
Enjoy or hate  it,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music  Prep.
Please visit me  at
http://alevy.com