[Dixielandjazz] 6th Chords

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 10 15:47:14 PDT 2012

On Apr 10, 2012, at 6:16 PM, Allan Brown wrote:

> You're right Steve, that was a treat.
>
>> For a harmonic treat, listen to Monk's Misterioso, circa 1957.
>
> Thanks for all your helpful replies.
>
> All the best,
>
> Allan

  Dear Allan:

Note that the second piano solo at the 5 minute mark, after JJ
Johnson's solo,  is not Monk, but rather Horace Silver who slipped
seamlessly into the piano chair to back JJ's solo. This is one of my
all time favorite Blues. Here's the link again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb5G3cHObXo

I went to school on this record. Two of my favorite jazz pianists.
Monk & Silver. Saw, and spoke to them a lot in my miss spent youth.
Not to mention Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey and Paul Chambers. Funny
thing about Monk. He was, in his youth, a stride pianist.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband