[Dixielandjazz] 6th Chords

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Apr 10 16:36:15 PDT 2012

Everyone who posted on this subject had some truth in what they were saying. It all depends on what type of Jazz you are talking about.

While I never looked at a Lu Watters arrangement, I doubt if he had many, if any 6th chords written in.

However, listen to the likes of a Howard Alden.

The point I am trying to make is, if you are playing an arrangement that is written by a good arranger and he has a 6th chord written in, then play it. That is his arrangement and that is the way that he intended for it to be played.

The other point I was making is, just because playing a 6th is hard, that is no reason to not play it, if it is supposed to be played. Playing well is what separates the men from the boys – The quality pro musicians from the amateurs.

--Bob Ringwald

you