[Dixielandjazz] Lead sheet for "With Plenty of Money"

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 8 21:30:34 PDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Haesler"

> Dingo wrote [in part]:
>> That's one of my favourite tunes of the era, at least, the Dick Powell
>> version is which can be heard at:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C78U_38V804
>> There's some very tasty clarinet at 1.05 which, for the last 3 decades I
>> have been trying (on and off) to put a name to. The drummer shines
>> briefly at 1.18 too.
>
> Dear John,
> It was recorded for Decca in Los Angeles on 11 November 1936 accompanied
> by Victor Young and His Orch.
> All we need to do now is to find who was in Young's recording studio pool
> at that time.
> Both the drummer and clarinetist are familiar to me too.
> Jimmy Dorsey and Ray McKinley?
> The Jimmy Dorsey band was in LA at that time.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Hello Bill,
Thanx for the info, I s'pose JD & R Mc could well be considered as suspects.
As regards the clarinet (simple system methinks), I've been thinking about
lesser known 'others' like Slats Long and Joe Dixon but haven't tied
anything in as yet. As with many web searches, I wandered way off base and
landed on an interesting Ray Coniff site. Details being sent off-list.
Cheers,
~~
John D