[Dixielandjazz] Lead sheet for "With Plenty of Money"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 9 03:02:33 PDT 2012

Dingo wrote [in part]:
...I s'pose JD & R Mc could well be considered as suspects..I've been thinking about lesser known 'others' like Slats Long and Joe Dixon...

Dear John,
The subject Dick Powell record was recorded for Decca in Los Angeles on 11 November 1936.
By which time Joe Dixon was with the Tommy Dorsey orch in New York.
Two TD recording sessions on 18 October and 18 November 1936 place him there.
For the TB recording session on 24 November 1936 Ray McKinley replaced temporary drummer Steve Lipkins, who was on the TD NY session of 18 November 1936. Enough time for McK to join TD in NY.
Slats Long (a NY session man) recorded in New York with Red Norvo in late August 1936 and next with TD in February 1937.
Which I think, logically and discographly rules out your 'others'.
Sorry old mate.
My old 'ears' still stick with my 'suspects' JD and McKinley on that Dick Powell "With Plenty of Money" session.
I suppose the other listmates are wondering what the BH we are talking about.
8>)
Very kind regards me oles,
Bill.