[Dixielandjazz] Across the beat phrasing was Sweet Georgia Brown

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 22 17:27:58 PDT 2011

>  "Ken Mathieson" <ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk> wrote (polite snip
>  I also didn't hear anything
> particularly alarming about Marsalis's playing. He was simply
> playing the
> way he plays and some of that odd *across-the-beat* phrasing in his
> solo had
> its genesis in Louis and Earl Hines' version of Weatherbird Rag.
>
> I'm off now before I'm branded a heretic!

Amen Ken. I'll be burned at the stake with you. Glad to see a comment
about across the beat phrasing, which to me is the essence of a front
line instrument swinging. IMO, that was one of Armstrong's greatest
contributions to Jazz, how to swing it. Though some folks try, with
dotted 8th note triplets etc.,  you can't write that down musically. I
think you have to learn that on the gig.

Playing with the beat, get ahead, get behind come back right on, while
all the while the drummer and bass player deliver a steady pulse.
Louis did it instrumentally and vocally, Monk did it, Marsalis does it
and I love it, while readily acknowledging that others may not..

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband