[Dixielandjazz] Hearing loss

Misrad HaJazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Thu Sep 22 22:51:25 PDT 2011

Shalom Jazz Fans,

I had my hearing checked last year for the first time since my army
days. The doctor looked at the results and asked, "Are you a musician?"

Virtually all of the music I play and listen to is acoustic and not
loud. I am 59 and not aware of any loss of hearing ability, other than
that I am finding it more difficult to hear whether notes are in tune.
According to the test, the loss is in high frequency range, above the
range of voice and normal music. So maybe losing overtones makes it more
difficult to hear if notes are in tune? And I suppose I can't hear dog
whistles anymore!   :-)  Not wearing earplugs yet, but I guess I should.

In Israel it is a known phenomenon that wedding bands crank up the
volume beyond the level of pain, and will typically refuse to turn it
down, even when asked by the bride or groom or their families who are
paying the band! I make sure I am well clear of the speakers at these
events. (My Dixie band sometimes gets jobs simply because we do not use
amplification!)

Happy Jewish New Year (Rosh HaShanah) to everyone!

Elazar

--
Elazar Brandt
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band

In a message dated 9/21/2011 5:23:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,