[Dixielandjazz] Dick Ruedbasch (was One for the books)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 20 16:05:34 PDT 2011

Don Ingle wrote [in part]:
> Dick was a fiery player that had everyone in the jazz scene talking......Sadly, this Milwaukee player died of the Big C all too young in the 1960's......Not sure of the clarinet player in the clip - it looked a bit like a younger Chuck Hedges.....also from Milwaukee, did work with Reudebusch.

Dear Don,
It is indeed Chuck Hedges (21 July 1932 - 24 June 2010  ) on that TV clip.
Claimed to be made in 1963, but I wonder if the numbers 0062.10.28 on the screen could refer to the date: 28 January 1962?
At about this time an LP (Jubilee JGM5008/JGS5008) by Dick Ruedebusch And His Underprivileged Five was released with Dick Ruedebusch (t/vcl) Sonny [Sunny] Sievert (tb) Chuck Hedges (cl) Ron Martinson (p) Lee Burrows (sb) and Al Praefke (d). Recorded at a concert at Millstate College, Whitewater, Wisconsin. c.1961.
Here is another YouTube 'clip', "Limehouse Blues", which I suspect is from that LP.
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBKSGukK98U&feature=related
And this is what listmate Bill Sargeant had to say on the DJML about Dick Ruedebusch in June 2007.
I obviously was not paying attention!
   http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2007-June/046907.html
Dick Ruedebusch died on 5 May 1968. He was 42.
Here is an announcement:
   http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19680603&id=YREWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_BAEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4106,259715
I also found the following from the Mayville Limestone School, Wisconsin website:
"Dick Ruedebusch (1926-1968) taught himself Dixieland jazz by playing trumpet to recordings of Bob Crosby’s Dixie Combo.  A 1943 graduate of Mayville High School, Dick played with the 378th Army Service Swing Band while in the service.  With “The Under-privileged Five,” Dick had six albums, including “Meet Mr. Trumpet.”  In 1962, Dick Ruedebusch and his group appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.  One of his trumpets, a record player, and some of his albums are on display" [in the school museum].
As usual from me, more that you needed to know.
*>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.