[Dixielandjazz] One for the books

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Sep 20 13:22:06 PDT 2011

On 9/19/2011 6:16 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:
> Dear Listmates,
> This one just in from a mate in Brisbane, Australia.
> Featuring someone I had never come across before.
>
>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di0RQ3nXEdY
>
> It's amazing what is hidden on YouTube.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dick was a fiery player that had everyone in the jazz scene talking. He
made Hirt seem like a second chair. Sadly, this Milwaukee player died of
the Big C all too young in the 1960's, sort of a far too soon thing to
happen as it was with George Girard in N.O.
He was active about the time I was playing at Jazz Ltd. in Chicago and
only got to catch him once -- but he knew his horn; and while I prefer a
more melodic style, he was impossible not to admire.
Not sure of the clarinet player in the clip - it looked a bit like a
younger Chuck Hedges, and Chuck, also from Milwaukee, did work with
Reudebusch. The others I could not place but we didn't overlap that much
with the Milwaukee players in Chicago.
Great to have that clip and thanks for posting it.
Don Ingle