[Dixielandjazz] Bull fighters

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Sep 18 07:25:30 PDT 2011

A Spanish newspaper had an article today that reminded me of discussions on
this list.  It was about the decline of interest in bull fights in Spain,
particularly amongst young people......

When I first arrived in Spain in the mid 1960's, I played approximately 500
bull fights over a period of about 3 yrs.  I love the music!  Nothing like a
good Pasadoble!

At that time a new name in bullfighters emerged...El Cordobes.  The "true
bull fight fans" hated him.  The general audience loved him.  He would "do
tricks" like kneel down on the dirt in front of the bull, and other things
that the true fans believed not to be "real" bull fighting.  But the general
crowd loved him.

Any of this sound familiar?

Jim
p.s.  El Cordobes was entertaining, but he was an artist, also.  In the bull
ring, you are an artist or you are dead!