[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis & Clapton

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 12:01:11 PDT 2011

> It's all relative, but I don't know any Trad bands that play Howling Wolf's
> "Forty-Four". To me it's Chicago Blues, which used to be called Rhythm and
> Blues

So?  Perhaps it's high time they do!  After all, despite some
arguments to the contrary, jazz is more "how" than "what."

When a stride pianist plays "Anitra's Dance" as a stride piece, it's
jazz, even if written by a classical composer.  And when Duke
Ellington arranged "The Nutcracker Suite" for his band, and played it
with swing, it was jazz.  As was teh entire "Porgy and Bess" as played
by the Jim Cullum Jazz Band.  NOt available anymore, but worth
seeking.  If you're lucky, you might find it.  I was lucky enough to
have purchased the last copy at the London HMV record store on Oxford
Street.  At teh time, I did not realize it had been discontinued.

Cheers