[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis & Clapton

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 16 07:03:23 PDT 2011

  Beth Schweitzer wrote:

> I agree - it's great! But I don't call this music the Blues - I call
> it
> OKOM - dixieland - trad jazz - new orleans jazz, etc. I even spotted a
> banjo. But if they want to call it the Blues to get more listeners,
> that's fine with me :-)

Dear Beth:

Funny you should mention Blues and more listeners. I've been noticing
here in the Phila/NYC/Wash DC area that the number of "Blues"
festivals has greatly expanded. As have blues band performances. So
much so that I now market Barbone Street to "Blues" venues and events.
Got a couple of "blues" gigs, wherein we played OKOM to positive
audience reaction, through it this year and expect quite a few more
next year.

Good thing to remember is the ODJB involvement 90 or so years ago in a
lawsuit about authorship / ownership of Livery Stable Blues (Barnyard
Blues) and the testimony of one songwriter/musician: "Jedge, Blues is
Blues."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband