[Dixielandjazz] FW: showmanship

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 13:40:02 PDT 2011

>>was put off by Trummy Young's operating his slide with his foot.  After
> that, I wouldn't listen to Young for years, as I considered him a showman
> rather than a musician.
>
> Once again....why the "as a showman rather than a musician"?  What's wrong
> with both working together?  As I said earlier, people hear music first with
> their eyes, as you will have done in this case, Marek.  Did he play a good,
> musical solo, albeit with his foot? You didn't comment on the quality of the
> solo.

I was so put off by thye clowning that, if he played a good solo, I
did not hear it.  I saw a clown.  Full stop.

> One could say there are two cases here:
>
> 1.  a clown playing a horn
> 2.  a musician clowning around for a moment
>
> Trummy obviously fit into the 2nd category, or it would be hard to imagine
> him performing so long with Louis.  So, a musician injected a moment of
> laughter, happiness, joy into his music.  Not really a sin, in fact a real
> plus.

I am not a priest, hence - I am not looking for sins.  Now I know
musicians must appeal not only to fans, but to the general public.  I
did not then.  Not sure how I would react to such a thing now.

Cheers