[Dixielandjazz] FW: showmanship

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Sat Sep 10 16:30:08 PDT 2011

> Marek wrote:
>>was put off by Trummy Young's operating his slide with his foot.  After
> that, I wouldn't listen to Young for years, as I considered him a showman
> rather than a musician.

George Brunis used to do the same thing, and I believe he once did an act
for Ripley playing his horn whilst somebody stood on his chest. I can't
think of anything George  would do (on stage anyway) that would stop me
listening to his records.

Others have done the foot in slide act (Bob Havens??) and I think it's all
good fun. When with Graeme Bell's All Stars trombonist Ken Herron would
extend the slide out to its full length and suddenly swivel in a complete
circle, making the trumpeter and clarinettist duck for safety. And the first
time he did it it was completely impromptu, taking the others by complete
surprise. The crowd loved it.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell