[Dixielandjazz] FW: showmanship

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Sat Sep 10 11:38:07 PDT 2011

The French have an appropriate saying for folks like you Marek  :))   tongue in cheek.

"Oh those Jazz people love to be bored"

Cheers,

Good Jazz Music is supposed to be Fun for all including the musicians who play it,
when their smiling the whole world smiles with them.  :))

In my opinion the serious stuff should be saved for Brain Surgery or elevators. :))
And I prefer to take the stairs to hear the echos of my own foot steps :))

Bart

Marek wrote:
>was put off by Trummy Young's operating his slide with his foot.  After
that, I wouldn't listen to Young for years, as I considered him a showman
rather than a musician.

Once again....why the "as a showman rather than a musician"?  What's wrong
with both working together?  As I said earlier, people hear music first with
their eyes, as you will have done in this case, Marek.  Did he play a good,
musical solo, albeit with his foot? You didn't comment on the quality of the
solo. If it was musically good, that is quite a feat (pun intented!) in
itself.

One could say there are two cases here:

1.  a clown playing a horn
2.  a musician clowning around for a moment

Trummy obviously fit into the 2nd category, or it would be hard to imagine
him performing so long with Louis.  So, a musician injected a moment of
laughter, happiness, joy into his music.  Not really a sin, in fact a real
plus.

Jim